Delivery - Senior Full Stack Software Engineer - React, React Native, NodeJS
GMT time zone +/-3 hours
🐦 About Birdie
Birdie is a pioneer in social innovation. Our vision is to build a society in which we all age with confidence. With a rapidly growing ageing population, overcrowded care homes and social care services under water, we’re facing a social crisis. We ’re on a mission to reinvent care so that older generations can live longer, healthier and happier in their own homes, surrounded by their families and their communities. We use digital products, cutting-edge home connected devices and AI to empower the care community to deliver better, preventative care
Launched in 2017, Birdie is a team of socially motivated care, health, product and tech entrepreneurs. We were nominated one of the top 10 UK startups to watch, the SME with the best culture in the UK and was in the 2020 Business Cloud Top 50 Start Up's list.
We are building the organisation of the future that will not only improve the lives of millions of older adults but also of our team members, our communities and will protect the environment. We demonstrate our values in everything we do. We care; we succeed together; we grow individually and strive for excellence; we are smart, brave and ambitious; and we nurture fun and a little quirkiness.
🚀 Your mission at Birdie
We need full stack developers to deliver on our product and build the best tech ever seen in the industry. You will get involved in all parts of the development process with full autonomy and be surrounded by the best experts. We believe in smart, capable and innovative people that take the initiative and own their code from planning to deployment and maintenance. We own one of the most exciting tech stacks you'll see, from various digital products (native apps, web apps) to the latest stack (react native, Node.js) and Internet-of-Things/health analytics. We’re in need of both very experienced developers as well as junior-level developers. Join us now and let's improve millions of lives together! If this offer is not for you, have a look at the other Engineering positions.
👀 About this role:
The Delivery squad is for providing care agencies with the tools they need for their delivery of care. We focus our work on the mobile app used by the carers to deliver care and the web portal used by care managers to monitor the care. As an example, some other squads focus on the planning of care, integrations with partners, care assessment, etc.
In the Delivery squad, there are 4 full-stack engineers (Junior, Medium, Senior and Tech Lead), a Product Manager and a Designer.
As a Senior you will be responsible for delivering the roadmap of the Delivery team (also known as Team Ostrich internally. Why? Because we're big, and we move fast).
We are looking for someone with very good technical knowledge and who wants to progress into a tech lead role in the future.
🦸♀️ How you will contribute:
- Plan and architect new features
- Code for both backend and frontend
- Design and create both unit and integration tests
- Deploy your code to Kubernetes on AWS
- Analyse the performance of your code in production and re-architect for bottlenecks, using automated monitoring tools where appropriate
- Execute in Agile development, in focused squads, using Agile methodologies and continuous improvement
- Maintain your code as necessary with bug fixes and patches
- Drive improvement across Birdie, collaborating where appropriate to continuously improve the products and services we offer
🤩 We'd love to hear from you if:
- Are passionate about writing clean, concise, well-tested code, but you’re also a pragmatic problem-solver
- Are someone who gets things done and is willing to step up, roll up your sleeves and take responsibility
- Able to work efficiently with little supervision and with a high degree of self-motivation and accountability
- You follow the best practices for the technologies you work with and understand why
- You're ferociously curious, love learning new things and teaching others about them
- You stay up to date with the latest technologies
- You're obsessed with team efficiency, collaboration and focus
- You can operate without ego to discuss, learn, grow, and help others do the same
- Have proficiency in React & React Native
- Have proficiency with NodeJS and TypeScript
- Have knowledge of Relational and Key-value databases (PostgreSQL, Redis)
- Have knowledge of Automated testing
- Have knowledge of common design patterns
- Have strong analytical and performance optimisation skills
- You embrace service ownership
- A deep capacity to get things done
- You know what you don't know
- Are someone who is inspired by, and seeks to embody our values
Nice to have
- Experience with customer-facing products
- Experience with production systems at scale
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Architects services and systems to allow autonomous development and future scaling
- Experience with the mobile application at scale
- Have knowledge or worked with event-driven architecture (Kafka)
These are our ideal requirements, but we know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. We promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Birdie, so please apply if you meet the majority of these competencies.
🙌 People are our core strength. We are social entrepreneurs, boasting an outstanding culture (employer net promotion score of 67) with strong values (B-Corp certified). We offer exceptional benefits and invest massively in our team's happiness, wellbeing and growth:
Competitive Salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. (e.g., up to £63k in London); we provide discretionary share options.
With Covid-19, we have decided to be a fully distributed team with Birdees working across the globe. As long as you're +-3h from GMT, you can work from anywhere you want and with flexible hours. We organise quarterly in-person events and online socials to make sure you can meet up with peers. If you want to come to our London based office, you're most welcome of course!
🌱 L&D budget
Growth is key. You'll have a personal development budget to put towards books (e.g., free audible subscription), courses, trainings and conferences; continuous coaching within the team and with external experts
🌴 Base holiday
33 days base holiday (25 days + 8 bank holidays) + Christmas eve day off
👩⚕️ Private health insurance
Private health insurance with Vitality that covers many physical and mental health costs
☀️ Gym and wellbeing memberships
Gym membership and numerous other wellbeing perks and discounts via Vitality
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
Birdie will buy a bike up-front and you can salary sacrifice to pay-off over the next 12-36 months
👼🏽 Parental Leave
Highly favourable parental leave policy for any new parent (we believe we must address the gender gap pay by fostering equal parental leave policies regardless of gender)
👵🏻 Pension employer contribution
Birdie contributes to your pension
⛷ Frequent company socials, trips and meals
We organise many socials, quarterly retreats and annual trips (like our epic ski trips)
🤗 Exceptional culture
We see ourselves as social entrepreneurs shaping a new kind of organisation: caring, responsible yet fostering excellence. Read The Birdie Way to learn more.