Software Engineer Fullstack
We are a venture-backed startup founded in January 2020 that is building the future of digital communications on top of the world's most ubiquitous messaging platform â email. We're on a mission to ensure that everyone has access to high quality, decentralized, and secure messaging.
We have an experienced team distributed across the US, with almost half of our team located in California. Our CEO Andrew formerly cofounded Firebase (later acquired by Google), and much of our early team met Andrew while working there building the infrastructure behind millions of today's mobile and web apps.
Our first product is a brand new inbox experience for Gmail that keeps your inbox organized by default. We believe that email should prioritize people, not advertising, getting through your inbox shouldn't require busywork, and sending an email should be as fast as typing a text message. Our product is currently in pre-launch testing with a select group of alpha users.
We're well-funded by top-tier investors including Union Square Ventures & Lightspeed Venture Partners.
About the role
In this role, you'll help us build and ship new features and improve the quality of our application by contributing across our entire stack.
- Work closely with other engineers to design and implement new features
- Write and ship a lot of code quickly â we deploy multiple times per day and value rapid iteration with users
- Contribute to both the backend and frontend of our application, both for web and for mobile
- Help ensure our service is secure and reliable with tests, monitoring, and by going on-call
- Wear whatever hats needed to make the business succeed â we're a small team
We're looking for a smart, generalist developer with strong CS fundamentals who's able to learn and adapt quickly to solve problems wherever they are in our code.
- Bachelors degree in CS or equivalent demonstrated ability
- Strong CS fundamentals
- Fluent in common data structures & algorithms
- Experience working across the stack on a mobile or web application
- Good technical communications skills, both verbal and written
- A willingness to work hard as part of a team and learn new things quickly
- Experience building APIs for a high reliability service
- Experience with PostgreSQL, and Kubernetes
- Experience with React, React Native, TypeScript, Kotlin, or Swift
What we offer
We're looking to hire the best and brightest and are trying hard to provide the best work environment around.
- Competitive compensation, including generous equity grants
- Medical and dental benefits
- Flexible work hours and vacation
- Remote-first team â you can work from anywhere
- Regular (every ~2 months) offsites where we get the whole team together, often in fun locations like Hawaii ð
- A mission-focused team with fun coworkers (ok, we're biased... but we really are nice people!)